Los Angeles Marathon 2014

Los Angeles Marathon 2014

The annual Los Angeles Marathon was last Sunday, March 09, 2014 . It was estimated that 25,000 runners competed in this years marathon.

Not to mention around 60 Animo Pat Brown Students ran the marathon as well on Sunday.

Leading up to the Marathon:

Exciting weekend for the APB and SRLA team; on Friday, March 07, 2014 both teams went down near the Staple Center, to EXPO to receive their shirts, supplies and information of the marathon. Not to mention all the amazing products that were being sold and the free samples given to us. Then around 4:50, we set out to the Italian restaurant C&O’s, in Venice Beach. Where they served delicious pasta, spaghetti, and of course the famous garlic balls. It is a yearly tradition competition, that whoever eats the most garlic balls shall be the winner and win a special present. This years winner was 10th grade student Jesus Cervantes, with a total of 24 garlic balls! Making him the winner of the garlic ball challenge.

Displaying teamdinner_srla.jpg
Venice Beach near the C&O restaurant

After a few laughs and a lot of food later, it was time to sing along to the Italian song “ That’s Amore”. Ms. Shiokari then brought out the dessert; a cake, with all the seniors name on it, for this being the last marathon they run with Students Run Los Angeles. Afterwards, it was time to return to school to receive our marathon uniforms. It was time to rest because in a day all the students and teachers would have to run 26.2 miles.

Displaying seniors_srla.jpg
Last SRLA marathon for the 12th grade runners

Day of the Marathon:

The bus was waiting for the students 4:15 a.m., ready to head out to the Dodgers Stadium and wait until 7:30 a.m. for the race to begin. Anticipation, anxiety, excitement and happiness is what every person experience those few minutes before the race started.

Displaying lamarathon_srla.jpg
Few minutes before the marathon

First, the gender challenge started before anyone else, the women got a head start 17 minutes before the men then a few minutes later, everyone else started including APB students.

The first person to finish the L.A. Marathon was Amane Gobena from Ethiopia, with an astonishing time of 2 hours, 27 minutes, and 39 seconds. Making her the winner of the women challenge and the gender challenge, winning a total of $75,000!

Amane Gobena

The first student from Animo Pat Brown that finish the  L.A. Marathon was 11th grader Diego Ramirez with a time of  4 hours and 11 minutes.

Interviews:

Veterans runner, Alvaro Quintero stated, “This was my third year running the L.A. Marathon. It was a pretty cool experience having Ms. Shiokari as our new leader, she was great for being her first year as the SRLA leader for our school. Join for the garlic balls!”

Veteran runner, Jose Rodriguez stated, “This was my second marathon. For me this marathon was better because I beat my record from the previous marathon and I was less sore. But I will say it was very hot that day. I felt like there was less support with the people that were watching the marathon, but overall great experience.”

First time runner, Jesus Cervantes stated, “ EXPO was awesome because there were a lot of products that would help me during my race. The restaurant was pretty cool. The day of the marathon was definitely challenging but the teachers and the staff kept me motivated.”

First time runner, Juan Berumen stated, “The EXPO was amazing because I got two bags full of cool things. The restaurant was fun because my friends were putting sugar in my water and I was hyper. On the day of  the marathon I started out bad but then I got a lot of energy and then around mile 21 I started to feel very tired. I am definitely going to do the marathon again!”

First time runner, Diego Ramirez stated, “The EXPO was alright you could get your stuff and buy things. The restaurants was pretty cool finally eating the garlic balls and singing along the the song. The marathon was exciting and I felt nervous but it was tiring as well.”

SRLA leader Ms. Shiokari stated, ” It was a rough run simply because it was very hot. I believed that the heat played a major factor in my performance and also in the students. But I am very proud of all my students. I want to congratulate the teachers and the students they did a great job. For students who are considering joining SRLA, there will be “post” practice, starting in about two week and they can come and try it to see if they are interested or not. Though, I will say that next year there will not be an APB team, it will only be the spots SRLA gives us.”