Go Green Club

Animo Pat Brown’s very own Go Green Club is planning on making their very own Garden starting this year. The environmental club has been trying to make a garden on campus for years, where students can be able to gain responsibilities, as well as knowledge on how to take care of plants. The on campus garden will be located near the bike racks to be admired by the staff and students. The go Green Club has the support of assistant principal Ms. Brown, who has taken a part in the process of creating the APB garden.

Teachers are excited to have an on campus garden, where they would contribute to the students effort to keep it alive and to show that Animo Pat Brown can also be part of the environmental effort to support mother nature. Teachers such as Mr. Osterhaus believes it would be a great idea to have a garden although he is concerned about students being irresponsible and having poor maintenance.When asked whether he would be willing to volunteer, he says “I could volunteer initially, but I wouldn’t volunteer to do more than take care of it….. it could teach people and it would be pretty neat”. Another excited teacher is Ms. Bruski who supported the Go Green club last year and is currently anxious to be part of the garden. When asked what do you think about an on campus garden she says “I love the idea!! I think that’s the best idea i’ve heard in a long time”. In her opinion she would like to see plants such as  tomatoes, basil, and cucumber that are all vegetables. She is determined to volunteer to keep the garden alive, she says, “I don’t have very much of a green thumb but I would help, I would water the plants and eat the tomatoes!”

The Go Green club is working towards changing and beautifying the school in a way that can benefit both the school and the students. This past saturday October 11th, members of the environmental club attended an event led by the Tree People organization where students gained skills that will help them contribute to nature, and will benefit the community. The Tree People Organization will help APB create the garden and will provide seeds to grow in the garden.

TREE PEOPLE HEADQUARTERS

2014-10-10-05-49-07-12014-10-10-05-48-53-1

The goal of the Go Green Club is to plant 2 plants, a pink and an orange. Pink to symbolize Ms. Mata and breast cancer awareness and the orange to symbolize Kevin Campos, a former APB student who suffered from Leukemia. This will keep their memory living amongst the APB family. Mr. Osterhaus was one of Ms. Matas closest friends, when asked how he feels about a pink plant to symbolize her he says, “It’s a nice gesture, I think it would be great… you have to make sure that if it’s going to be something that big then it has to be a good place and someone to take care of it, it’s lame if you do something in someone’s honor and then it’s allowed to die”. Ms. Bruski also thinks that having something to symbolize Ms. Mata is a great gesture from the students and it’s a beautiful idea to have something to remember her by.