Teacher doesn’t let student read his bible in class

In Florida, Park Lakes Elementary School, a school teacher mortified Giovanni Rubeo by telling him in front of the whole class that he is not allowed to read his bible in her classroom. Giovanni was asked to go in front of the classroom and call his parents. The teacher called Giovanni’s parents and as apprehended from the recording, the teacher said, “I noticed that he has a book – a religious book – in the classroom.. He’s not permitted to read those books in my classroom.”

It really brings controversy because Giovanni brought the book to school so he would be able to read it during his 90 minute free time, but it turns out his teacher does not allow it. He stated that he loves to read the bible because he received it from his local church.

The Liberty Institute which focuses in religious liberty issues is going to represent Giovanni and his family. Todd Starnes stated that the family is demanding for Giovanni to be able to read his bible during free time in his classroom. Not only that, but they are also looking for an apology from the school.

When asked junior Jose Prado what his opinion on this topic was, he responded, ” Anyone has the right to read whatever they want without worrying about what others religious beliefs are.” He also said that he agrees that the teacher should apologize to the student.