Old School v. New School

Throughout time in the rap industry, new rappers have came out and introduced their flavor of lyrics. Rap is a style of music where artist talk about love, gang life, society etc in a rhythmical way. This type of music genre has become popular especially to teens who are seem to feel inspired by these artist, in which connect with their experiences.. However, when it comes to grown ups tend to enjoy old rap since have a more connection towards. For example, teenagers in general listen to new rappers such as YG, Kid Ink, Bobby Shmurda etc where as compared to older folks would prefer to listen to Tupac, Biggie Smalls, The Game, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Eazy-e, Dr. Dre etc. Both types of raps have their own spice towards its lyrics.  Society has a huge effect towards what these songs emphasize.

The idea of new rap and old rap is a controversial issue, many believe that old rap is preferable than new rap and vice versa.  In order to compare new rap and old rap, senior student George Ballesteros was asked some questions. According to Senior George Ballesteros, he was asked the question and he answered that he would prefer to listen old school rap. Further he was asked why he prefered old school rap, “ I like old rap because they talk more about real life gangster things instead of sex, money, and smoking”. As the interview continue, Ballesteros added “I like old school rap because they talk about life struggles that they been through…”. george as many others view that old school rap is more intriguing. When searching the web, I came forward to a website called “Genius”, in which had a variety of information towards new rap vs. old school rap.This question was asked in an online website about rap, “What is your favorite rap era?”. Various answers were given, however, most answered that their era was back when tupac and biggie were alive.

To conclude,it can be seen that more grown ups will choose Old school rap against New school rap. In many people’s opinions, kids such as teenagers will choose new school rap due to the fact that they do not understand the meaning of the old lyrics.