School Hours Take Sleep Hours

By: Cassie Rodas and Leonides Martinez

It’s 6am. and many students are already awake getting ready to go to school. We’ve been called zombie6.jpgzombies many times since students are very slow, tired, and not really focusing during the 1st few hours of school. Animo Pat Brown starts at 8am. which is later than other schools but it is still too early for students.

Starting school too early is not only something that students just complain about everyday. Students are not able to get enough sleep since they normally start to head to bed around 10pm and wake up at 6am. Teenagers are supposed to sleep up to 8 hours or more if possible. There is many consequences leading to not getting enough sleep: overweight, not engage in physical activity, and perform poorly in school. It has been scientifically proven that getting enough sleep is very important to one’s performance in school activity and assignment. If students were to get more sleep there is a possibility for students’ performances to be much better which will increase the graduation rate.
Alarm ClockSchool schedules have changed drastically from elementary school to highschool. Elementary students enter around 8:15am and get out at 2:30pm but as students begin middle school and high school, the schedules are very different from each other. The average time students in middle school or high school get out is around 3:05pm. Students are placed in school for about 8 hours or more and do not get half the hours of the sleep from the time they are in school. Schools are affecting teenagers’ sleep cycle because of the changes that are being made in the school schedules. Additionally, students have to get up early in order to be in school on time. Student sleeping hours start changing when students start middle school. For example, in Charles Drew Middle School, school starts at 7:20am and the latest time they are out of school is at 2:40pm. School interferes with students’ sleep and it also gets involved with the time students have to get up especially if students come in the bus or come walking. Those students have to get up earlier than other students just to make it on time. School schedules should be changed because students struggle to get enough sleep. Also, the earlier school start, the more parents worry about what can happen to their children for having to
walk to school or take the bus at an early time.

However, some teachers and parents might say that the school schedule are fine because later in life you will be required to get up early in order to go work. Even though that is true, teenagers are barely developing and adults can not be compared to the same function has students since they have a different mentally. Furthermore, it has also been recommended that students should just go to sleep earlier so that they will get enough sleep. But some people do not understand that students would like to sleep earlier but they have a lot of school work to do. For the most part,students that take regular classes (with no advanced placement classes) still have a difficult time getting enough sleep; therefore, we can only imagine those who take advanced placement classes get even less than 7 hours of sleep.

Schools as well as parents have been teaching students that health is something very important.. It has been scientifically prove
n that schools start way too early. However, school instructors choose to ignore this fact and continue to make students arrive to school very early. It is understandable that they may disapprove starting school at 10pm because that would mean that school would end around 6pm. But the solution to this problem could be cutting the hours shorter and moving them onto the weekend. We wouldn’t be the first to go to school every day of the week for Germany does this too. There are solutions to this problem, it just takes action to get this very important message across.