Proposition 64 – Opinion

Legalization of Marijuana

By: Ary Perez, Victor Patino, Karina Estevez

This year’s election has brought many surprises to Americans with Trump becoming the United States president and marijuana being legal. The legalization of marijuana has caused many controversy, some are happy that it’s legalize and others are anger that proposition 64 has been passed. Proposition 64 legalizes adults 21 or older to use marijuana and imposes state tax on the sale and the cultivation of marijuana. Proposition 64 will be a safe and legal system for the adults who use marijuana. The tax collection of the sale and cultivation will provide billions for afterschool programs, job training, drug treatment, and cracking down on impaired driving. The argument against Proposition 64 will omits DUI standard to keep marijuana–impaired drivers off our highways and ads promoting smoking marijuana, gummy candy and brownies on shows watched by millions of children and teenagers, shows reckless disregard for children’s health and safety.

According to many of the interviews of the student body, the legalization of marijuana is both supported and accepted. And when questioned further, the students had replied with their supportive views of the recreational use of marijuana. When asked about if a minor was caught with marijuana, all the students agreed that the person be punished as if they had been caught with alcohol. Simply put by 12th grader Freddy Espejo, “They should get in trouble because they’re not 21.” And 12th grader Stephanie Estevez says that, “if they don’t get in trouble it’ll become a bigger issue” since if another minor sees that they don’t get in trouble, they will continue to smoke underage. And even those who support the use of medicinal marijuana agree that if a person is caught high while driving, it should be taken as seriously as when someone is caught drunk. Easily put by 12th grader Brenda Ortiz, it should be taken seriously because, “it messes with you in a way that can lead to other people getting hurt.” That the safety of other people is above what is legal and illegal. So, according to 12th grader Linda Garcia, “being high is basically the same thing as being drunk,” which can cause harm to many people.

Even though many supported the proposition there are those who oppose it. While interviewing some of the staff at school, Principal Mr. Reed said “It would help the economy but by substance abuse by young people…and partially negative impact in the student’s education…it would lead to substance abuse by young people”. Many worried now that the student’s life would be impact in a negative way. Even though you have to be 21 to buy it. It is like drinking, you have to be 21 or older. But that doesn’t stop younger people from doing it, so what would stop students from buying marijuana. And like Mrs. Ramos said that “ Students have been caught with drugs and alcohol”.  So, what makes us think that they won’t be able to get a hold of it. When asking if people should still go to jail possession of  weed, Mr. Reed says that,“Jail, no. Probably some sort of fine . . . for people who have a past of substance abuse, to have counseling or rehabilitation”. Mrs. Ramos also agrees with this she says “There should be tiers [of punishment] for it, a fine would be the first tier”.

In conclusion the group that were against Proposition 64 were the adults in Animo Pat Brown and the group that was pro it were the 12th graders in Animo Pat Brown. Adults stated that now that marijuana is legalized there is a higher chance that teenagers in that future will try smoking marijuana. The students state that now that marijuana is legalized the adults that posses or consume the drug will not be sentenced to prison. Although there are states that are against Proposition 64 and that do not allow marijuana, in California marijuana is now legal to adults 21 and older.