Los Angeles: Turning Cyclists into Angels

By: Jose Mendoza

“I was scared to try cycling, because I know the way cyclists are treated on the road” says Ms. Roselman.

There is a saying amongst cyclists in southern California; LA sucks for cycling.

It’s not just because of the cracked streets, or the scorching sun, or even the impossibly steep hills near and around downtown. It’s because as a cyclist in Los Angeles, there is no guarantee one will come home the same way they left.

“I never take Manchester when I come to APB by bike” says Ms. Roselman. “One of my friends was killed on that street,” referring to Frederick “Woon” Fraizer, who was killed earlier this year in a hit-and-run accident just mere miles away from APB.

“I take smaller streets with less traffic because I know how drivers feel about us”

Drivers often get frustrated with cyclists because their presence slows down the flow of traffic. They must be extra careful and drive extra slow to ensure they don’t cause an accident. This, as Ms. Roselman points out is why more safer bike lanes are needed.

Chief Lunes Group Ride

When a cyclist is in a bike lane, there is no more obstruction for vehicles on the road; making city travel by bike far easier and safer. But the problem is that Los Angeles County is not making these type of bike lanes a system, and are instead installing them wherever they fit; forming a maze of bike lanes in the city.

All around LA, there are countless type 2 (separate, one-way) and type 3 (share-road) bike lanes. The problem is that they are not all connected. For example, a cyclist traveling west on Firestone Boulevard will only get to use a bike lane between Alameda Street to Hooper Avenue. From there the bike lane turns right, heading north down Hooper Avenue, and it does not come up on Firestone for a good few miles. This forces cyclists to either change their route, or risk their lives in traffic so they can get to their destination on time.

As a whole, Los Angeles needs to do better to protect it’s cyclists. Seeing as there is a booming culture of cycling amongst the younger population, it only makes sense to ensure their safety so they can live long enough to drive on the streets they currently ride.

Fixed Gear Fridays, Chief Lunes, and Da Goon Ride are all massive bike rides that take place almost every week that bring out anywhere from 20 to 100 cyclist each time. All of them have roots in Los Angeles, and all of them are a representation of what Los Angeles is, and what it needs to protect.

Fixed Gear Fridays Group Ride