Review: Hazbin Hotel

Image Source: Amazon.com

Hazbin Hotel is a series created by Vivienne Medrano which was originally a pilot on youtube that blew up right after it was posted. It was then eventually picked up by A24 as an official television production with new voice actors and animators. The story is about the princess of hell, Charlie Morningstar, whose main goal is to reduce the population in hell in a non-violent way. To do this she tries to rehabilitate sinners at her Hazbin Hotel and give them a chance at redemption. Charlie must cooperate with her only guests at the hotel and prove that sinners can be redeemed and get them into heaven.

Overall, the story and the plot is interesting, the animation and art style  stands out and is very different from the usual animated show. It was fluid and well animated, enough so that anyone could enjoy seeing these silly characters interact with each other and how they come along. The characters all have enjoyable personalities and interesting well thought out designs with their animal characteristics and fun designs that really pull you into another world. The songs are another part of what makes this one of a kind show stand out, with its catchy lyrics and engaging tone that get stuck in your head. They were written with the help of The Living Tombstone and had Broadway stars casted as the voice actors so it’s no wonder the songs were so loved throughout the community.

While this show had many great things, every piece of media has its flaws. Despite how well written and animated these characters were, the pacing of the show was lacking. Right from the start the characters weren’t given a chance to properly introduce themselves and just about every episode was filled with plot heavy stuff with not enough filler or in between to properly establish what they were all like. However, this was not a fault on the animators but the company itself and an issue with only allowing eight episodes per animated show which was a let down on their part. The humor in the show also got in the way as It sometimes contradicted the important themes the show was trying to communicate which made it hard to take seriously.

To conclude, I think this show deserves a rating of four out of five stars due to the pacing issue but good quality of writing and characters. It had its ups and downs and brought a new style of animation and well loved characters that could inspire others and set a new standard for future animated shows. Despite its issues, many fans still fell in love with the themes of this show, making fan art and theories, and are still on board for another season of great music and fun characters.