Discover new music for the summer

The Strokes album, Angles is definitely a buy!
thestrokes.com

The Strokes–Angles

After taking a much needed two year break off of recording, The Strokes came back together to record what would become another great album, Angles. Angles is unlike any other The Strokes album they have put out in the past. Angles has distinct instrumental and vocal chords that make Angles a unique album. Angles is a one of a kind album that gave The Strokes their rise back to fame after their “death” in 2006.
Most of the songs that The Strokes produce are silly in a sense that they do not make sense. In Angles, one of the most famous songs, “Life is Simple in the Moonlight,” goes, “Animals on TV singing about some pain that they once felt/There’s no one I disapprove of more or root for more than myself.” The lyrics are unique, but often misunderstandable. The Strokes have a history of writing stories without an overall point; their songs jump from one topic to the next within the next second, but that is what makes The Strokes, The Strokes.
Every song on the album is a must listen to, but the best song on the album has to be “Gratisfaction.” “Gratisfaction” is not one of their popular singles off the album but it deserves as much attention as the singles get. The song is about a love that did not work out and will not work any longer.
It does not matter which song a person listens from the album, they are sure to get a kick out of it. Although I would not say that Angles is the Strokes’ best album, it is still a must have for anyone who is a long time The Strokes fan or just someone who wants to have new great music to listen to.
The Strokes have never failed to please their fans and Angles is no exception to this.
One Direction–Up All Night
British-Irish boy band One Direction made their debut in popular UK show X-Factor landing a spot in 3rd place against Matt Cardle and Rebecca Ferguson. Regardless of their position they slowly made their way up to fame.
One Direction’s album Up All Night hit UK stores November 18, 2011 and March 13, 2012 in North America.
Up All Night is One Direction’s first studio album which soared to the top of Billboard 200’s top albums list in the first week of its debut. With each individual song on the album it is no wonder why the album hit top of the charts in its first week debut.
One Direction’s hit single “What Makes You Beautiful” also hit Billboard charts, and as of April 29, 2012, it is #8 on the Hot 100 chart. “What Makes You Beautiful” is about a girl who is unable to see how beautiful she truly is and they are trying to make her open her eyes and realize it. The song has a nice purpose to it and it is very catchy to sing along to.
Personally, one of my favorite songs off of the album is “Stole my Heart.” When I first heard that song I probably listened to it non-stop. “Stole my Heart” has a nice beat to it and in my opinion it is somewhat amusing, especially in one part of the song which goes, “Cause your friends/They look good, but you look better.” It is as if the person is dissing the girl by giving her a compliment.
Up All Night is a great album, and whether you look for lyrics or beat in music this album will sure please you. And if you are one to judge a band simply because they are a boy band then this album will prove you wrong; just make sure to listen to the album with an open mind.

Dog is Dead–Your Childhood
Dog is Dead is a British band. Their EP, Your Childhood, which included some of their older songs from before they were signed onto a record deal, debuted on May 6, 2011. Dog is Dead is a relatively new band that is already getting widely known. They have appeared at various music festivals across the UK headlining and alongside other artists, such as the Bombay Bicycle Club.
The album is fast and upbeat. I really liked how each song keeps a nice vibe to it without being terribly similar. While the actual content of the album was amazing, I was somewhat disappointed by the fact that there are only 4 songs on the album, and it costs 15 bucks! Aside from the outrageous price, my favorite song from the album has to be “Glockenspiel Song.” The lyrics are not so deep or meaningful, but they are still cool. The song goes, “We are a mess, we are failures, and we love it.” The song still has a pretty nice beat and I have probably listened to it more than 50 times in the last week.
Dog is Dead is a somewhat low profile band right now, but I am sure that over time they are going to grow to become well known in the music industry.
Overall this album is great. I really did enjoy listening to it. However, if you do not have 15 dollars lying around, you should attempt to find another way of listening to it; perhaps the internet may help you.
The Black Keys–El Camino
E l Camino is The Black Key’s second full length studio album. They reached the top of the charts in 2010 with “Brothers,” and they most probably will do this again with this awesome album.
El Camino sounds like a really long song. Every song has a similar beat or style to it. It got kind of annoying when I first listened to it, even though it is a great style. It really works for them, and all the songs have a little different twist. The album starts off with the most well-known song, “Lonely Boy.” While the song is the most popular, it was not really one of my favorites–perhaps because I had listened to it on the radio countless times. The song I listened to the most off the album was “Nova Baby.” “Nova Baby” has a similar, but different beat than the rest of the songs. I have also listened to this song countless times in the past week. The lyrics in El Camino actually have a message. “Nova Baby” goes, “This empty heart, you left me with/The ribbon on my parting gift/I’m falling hard for every yard /Of the dream you sold me.”
Overall, all I have to say is that the album is decent. It would be great if it was not so homogeneous. If you are already a fan, you should definitely get it, it is the same The Black Keys we all know and love. But the music and lyrics are exceptional. I really did enjoy listening to the music.