Colleges browse social networking information for dirt on students

“Since Facebook is a public network, students should be aware that any obscene photo or acts they post online through Facebook can be seen throughout the world.”
Mario Salazar

Students put appropriate or inappropriate things on their Facebook profiles without knowing that it may affect their acceptance to the colleges of their choice. In fact more than 80 percent of College admissions use Facebook as their recruiting processes, according to Kaplan survey of college admission officers — the people who decide who get into colleges, and who do not.

“Since Facebook is a public network, students should be aware that any obscene photo or acts they post online through Facebook can be seen throughout the world,” senior Emanuel Ramirez said. “Even though college administrations may look at applicant’s Facebook profile, me as a student, I do not feel worried.”

“If they did look at my profile, I would not be bothered, because I do not keep inappropriate things on Facebook profile,” former physics and biology teacher — who left at the end of the school year to attend law school, Randi Thompson said.
According to a Kaplan report, Social networking sites can have a positive impact of 25 percent and a negative impact of 38 percent.

Not all Animo Pat Brown students have college friendly Facebooks. One 9th grade student at APB exhibits a picture of himself wearing his uniform shirt with an APB logo while smoking out of a hookkah, which is a type of water pipe. While it is unclear whether he is smoking tobacco or any illegal drugs, smoking of any kind is illegal for a minor. This is the exact type of behavior on social network that some colleges are looking for. The Gryphon Gazette attempted multiple times to interview him; he declined multiple requests to speak.

Seniors on the other hand are not worried about the material presented on their Facebook. “Students under the age of 18 shouldn’t have any inappropriate things on their Facebook profiles,” Senior Samoan Brown said.
Facebook is one of the largest social networks with 500 million active users according to Kissmetrics. Over 50 percent of the users log on each day to update their status, upload pictures, and interact with any of their friends or to play any apps.

“Students shouldn’t put anything on Facebook if they don’t want anyone to see it. I would be surprised if someone put something on their Facebook to impress the College Administrators,” APB principal Joshua Hartford said.

‘You proceed to your own risk on what you put on Facebook” Emanuel said.
But other students see it through a different perspective where students should not have to worry about being evaluated on what is on their profile.
“They shouldn’t view our profile’s because that is our personal life. They have to judge us on our academics and the way we are in school, I have a Facebook and I wouldn’t like being exploited,” senior Ulisses Valdez said.

“I disagree because I feel that colleges have the right to know about the students and Facebook allows them too”. Senior Emanuel Ramirez said. How much further can a college evaluate students application without asking for so much to get into the school? “I am concerned for two reason, students make poor decisions and publicize it so everyone can see it,” Hartford said.

“As time progresses we mature and we shouldn’t try to put professional things and its useless,” senior Rafael Guevara said.
“No evaluation is private, if you want it private you should have kept it off the Internet,” Hartford said.