Monster Energy Company sued for non-Fatal Heart Attack

Jason received all the Monster Energy gear for free by returning his caps.
Yesenia Nevarez

17- year-old Jason Mayorquin an Animo Pat Brown Senior consumes highly caffeinated Monster Energy Drinks, which are being blamed for one fatal heart attack according to the reports from the United States Food and Drug Administration.

He consumes 22 oz Monster energy beverages 3 times a week, spending about $1,000 a month.

When asked what he receives out of this he said, “Energy and free monster energy team gear as featured promotions from the company.”

The way this works is by first purchasing a drink  and tearing the tab from any Monster Energy product. Then  one has to collect enough Monster Energy can tabs to redeem the Monster Energy Team Gear items one wants. Lastly one trades tabs for gear by placing one’s order online for Monster Energy Team Gear; $4.95 shipping and handling per item.

So far Jason has received a backpack, beanie, hooded zip sweatshirt, t-shirt , and still has 200 Monster Energy tabs left over!

When Jason was asked about what does he get out of monster energy drinks he said “I get a high amount of energy in the morning”, however in the afternoon he feels his energy starts to lack.

“I do not drink Monsters or any other energy drinks. I take B12 vitamins, and in the mornings when I don’t have time to eat breakfast, I make a quick milkshake” said senior Rosalba Herrera.

According to the FDA Monster Energy Drink, 24 oz cans contain 240 milligrams of caffeine, 7 times the amount of the caffeine in a 12 oz can of Coca Cola.

“I am aware of the amounts of caffeine in the drink” said Jason.

A teacher from the science department said, “Energy drinks are pretty bad for you. They contain way more sugar that is needed in your body. There are studies that show that when you consume these products at a younger age it can lead to diabetes, and respond to insulin. The amounts of caffeine can affect your heart especially at a young age and if you are not drinking water, it can weaken your bones and it can be long term effect in the future” Alexis Hanson.

It’s argued that Monster Energy drinks don’t prove that their drinks causes deaths or injuries. But a 14 year old girl, Anais Fournier suffered a toxicity from cardiac arrest after drinking 22 oz Monster energy beverages within a 24 hour period.

Fournier’s wrongful death lawsuit, news broke that the Food and Drug Administration was investigating one non-fatal heart attack linked to Monster Energy Drink.

“Children and young adults are not suppose to drink theses energy drinks because it can cause the heart rate to increase which is not healthy because your heart gives out natural energy and when you’re at a young age drinking these drinks can lead to a heart attack because it triples the amount of energy you already have.” said the school’s security guard Daymond Johnson.

Anais Fournier’s parents say Monster Energy killed their daughter and are suing the company.

Although the mother of Anais was informed about her daughter drinking Monsters.

A lawsuit was filed at the California Superior Court in Riverside October 17, 2012 on by the Fournier’s family due to the death of the fourteen year old Hagerstown Anais passed away on December  11, 2011. The parents filed a lawsuit against the Monster energy cooperation  because they said that the caffeine in the products contributed to her death. The Fournier family and Monster are still vigorously fighting this lawsuit.

The company however told CBS station WJZ in Baltimore, Maryland in a statement, “Monster does not believe that its beverages are in any way responsible for the death of Ms. Fournier. Monster is unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks.”

The girl from Hagerstown Maryland, went to the mall and consumed a 24 oz can of Monster Energy Drink, according to her mom Wendy Crossland.

The next day however Anais reportedly went back to a local mall and drank another 24 oz can of Monster Energy, her mom said, that night the Anais went into cardiac arrest.

According to the coroner, Anais had a mild fundamental issue that linked to her heart condition that was aggravated by the caffeine.

The autopsy found that Fournier died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity that had impeded her heart’s ability to pump blood. She suffered from an inherited disorder that can weaken blood vessels.

A cardiac arrhythmia is a problem with the rate or rhythm of a heartbeat, such as beating too fast or too slow, according to the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute

Monster takes a stance by defending their reputation by stating that their beverages aren’t  responsible for Fournier’s death. The company says they’re not aware of any fatalities caused by its drinks. Monster says they will vigorously fight the lawsuit.

“Anything that can be consumed that has high caffeine has instructions and when people disregard them it can lead to health problems. Pay attention to the labels! Its the legislative fault, they should step up and make it into a law by showing an ID photo to purchase these products because right now these drinks are available to minors.” Johnson said.

Jason said he started drinking energy drinks when he was in Junior High school in the seventh grade.

Moments later, we asked if he was aware of the girl’s death. His response was “No”.

“Its tragic someone at a young age had a heart attack”, said Jason. However, he believes that Monster Energy drinks aren’t responsible for the cause of her death.

A makeshift, “I heard on the news about this case. It’s a tragedy that something like this happened to a young person, but I don’t believe her death was caused entirely by the energy drink. Maybe she had other health problems, and she was not supposed to consume energy drinks” said Rosalba.

Are these high caffeinated energy drinks the cause of the death of Anais Fournier and metal issues in others, or is this just a blaming game. Who is at fault here?

Some may claim that it’s the company is at fault but it’s argued that the product contains nutritional facts and amount of serving that should be consumed within a 24 hour period.

Others claim that it’s the individual consuming these products that are putting their health at risk and should take the blame. Some may even blame the guardians for allowing their children drink these beverages with high caffeine because some may be aware of it.

Jason said “On occasions my mother would buy me several Monster Energy drinks. She had bought me a 6 pack of monster energy drink once before”.

Should parents be more aware of how much caffeine their children are consuming.When asked Jason’s mom had no comment on the option of an interview.

“My kids ask if they can have some of my monster energy drink but I strictly tell them no it’s for adults, it clearly says it’s not recommended for children on the back of the product,its not under recommended for 18 and under.” Johnson said.

“Some advice to the teenagers that are consuming these energy drinks  I say get sleep, exercise, and adapt a healthy diet, and some adequate sugars in your diet such as starches and proteins. Eat breakfast to get energy that will last throughout the day” Hanson said.17- year-old Jason Mayorquin an Animo Pat Brown Senior consumes highly caffeinated Monster Energy Drinks, which are being blamed for one fatal heart attack according to the reports from the United States Food and Drug Administration.

“Some advice to the teenagers that are consuming these energy drinks  I say get sleep, exercise, and adapt a healthy diet, and some adequate sugars in your diet such as starches and proteins. Eat breakfast to get energy that will last throughout the day” Hanson said.