Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s Controversial Release

Yolanda Vicenio
Recently released, Gypsy Rose Blanchard, before and after imprisonment

Gypsy Rose Blanchard was released from prison on December 28th 2023 from a Missouri correctional center after serving 8 years for plotting the murder of her mother. 

Gypsy Rose Blanchard gained attention due to the devastating case of her mother,Dee Dee Blanchard, who exposed her to Munchausen syndrome by proxy. Gypsy Rose was manipulated into believing she had various illnesses, leading to  unnecessary medical treatments.In a shocking turn of events, Gypsy rose worked with her boyfriend to murder her mother in 2015, revealing abuse and deception.

Gypsy Rose was sentenced to 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to second degree murder for the involvement of the killing of her mother. Meanwhile, her boyfriend at the time Nicholas Godejohn was sentenced to life in prison.

After spending 8 years in prison, Gypsy Rose was released from Chillicothe Correctional Center the early morning of December 28, 2023. She was granted parole after serving the majority of her sentence.

While in prison, Gypsy Rose also gained more notoriety after the releases of various documentaries and even docuseries about her case such as The Act (2019) a Hulu series that depicts how Gypsy Rose was manipulated,as well as everyone else around them, to believe that she was severely ill. Also including the documentary Mommy Dead and Dearest (2017) which explores the psychological and physical abuse that Dee Dee had put Gypsy through.

The fame continued to grow throughout time, especially this past year. With news spreading all over the media about her release, but most popular on the app Tiktok were the anticipation of her release got huge . 

With the fame Gypsy grew a fanbase that would post daily countdowns waiting for the day she got released. Her case really  blew up with this “ newer “ generation understanding the details of her case and stood with her actions calling her “ mother , Iconic , she’s that girl “ and many more. 

Since her release, Gypsy has joined the social media frenzy and has thanked those on her side while also sharing parts of her life with her family and husband that you can also watch on Lifetime, “ The Prison Confessions of Gypsy Rose Blanchard“(2024) . 

Cristopher Alvarado, a junior at APB, shared his thoughts on Gypsy Rose.“Yeah I’ve heard about her, I heard that she recently got out of jail,” Alvarado shares.”She deserves to be released from prison because she didn’t do anything wrong.”

He adds on by saying,”He’s(Nicholas Godejohn) basically the one that killed her, making it look bad on him.”Alvarado further explains his opinion on Godejohn, stating,“I mean he’s probably getting help right now if you think about it like if the people on jail see that then there probably gonna send him to an asylum but, I mean if he’s doing good behavior then yeah they should shorten it but since he’s basically the one that killed her, that cancels out of what she did, its two different things.”

When asked about the notoriety Gypsy has been receiving all over the media, he responded by saying,”What I have seen, maybe if they see her as a good person in the way that she’s trying to do something good for herself.”

Reflecting on the case, the question of whether or not the murder of Dee Dee Blanchard is justified as reasonable. “Yea cause the mom did like something bad making her seem like she was sick from what sieve heard and maybe that’s like affected her throughout the years”,Alvarado replies, “I feel like maybe she did speak out but no one listened in a way that maybe she tried reaching out for help and everyone would probably decline her cause no one would think that her mom would do that to her.”