Teens and Drug Abuse

Teens and Drug Abuse

Teens are more likely to abuse of drugs every day. This is especially a problem in Los Angeles where teenagers are surrounded by these vices. Teens can abuse drugs because of family conflicts or any sort of abuse. Drugs are a huge problem that leads to an increasing amount of teen deaths. It’s time we talk to teens about drugs and make sure that they are aware of the consequences that come with abusing them.

Drugs have become more common in teens, especially the ones in broken homes. Dr. Dryden stated, “Individual risk factors include any history of physical or sexual victimization, learning or emotional problems, difficulty managing impulses.” Teens who are victims of physical and sexual abuse, and those with emotional difficulties have a higher risk of using drugs. In order to prevent these teens from abusing drugs, it is important that parents sit down with their kids and talk about what the risks are when using drugs. Parents it’s important to “ Listen to your children, validate their feelings, and help them develop the emotional vocabulary and coping mechanisms they so desperately need in order to navigate their lives, substance free.” One thing parents don’t seem to understand is that you aren’t supposed to scare your children into taking drugs or scream at them and make it a huge lecture they don’t take seriously.

Drug abuse is a really big problem and is causing teens to hurt themselves and others. Studies show that “ Alcohol and drug abuse is a leading cause of teen death or injury related to car crashes, suicides, violence, and drowning ”(WebMD). This gives teens more incentives to stay away from drugs because they wouldn’t want to put their lives in danger. By explaining to them the risks that come with using drugs, teens will mostly likely stay away from them. Another thing parents should know is that they must “Ask your teen’s views. Avoid lectures. Instead, listen to your teen’s opinions and questions about drugs. Assure your teen that he or she can be honest with you”(MayoClinic Staff). This means that you shouldn’t make it sound like you’re telling teens what to do because they won’t listen. Mayo Clinic also suggest to “avoid scare tactics” because teens won’t respond to it and might even encouraged to use drugs because they’re not supposed to.

It’s important to teach teens that using drugs won’t bring them any good in their lives. We must teach them to not give into peer pressure and that using drugs won’t make them “cool” as much as it might seem it is. Educating teens about the consequences that come with using drugs and listening to them and answering their questions will be a big help to keep teens and everyone else safe.