Beautiful Lengths

Beautiful Lengths

Beautiful Lengths was started by both Pantene and American Cancer Society to provide real hair wigs for cancer patients. The program is a non-profit organization that started in July 2006. The difficulty for many of these cancer patients is dealing with hair loss which inspired the organization to begin. Healthy hair is asked to be donated to bring their self esteem up and feel healthier. The result of the wigs that have been given have are positive. Many of the patients feel more like themselves when putting on the wig.

download

The organization is requiring healthy hair to create beautiful wigs. Your hair must be a minimum of 8 inches, have not been bleached or dyed, and have no more than 5% of gray hair. If the donor does not meet these requirements, unfortunately, they won’t be able to participate. The people that do meet these requirements would be able to contribute and will have to prepare their hair for the donation. Before donating, you must take care of your hair and not let it get damaged. The use of conditioner after every wash of hair is requested to keep the hair moisturized. Also, in the use of heat or blow dryer, make sure you use a spray or leave in conditioner to not cause damaging. Finally, stay away from teasing, brushing soaking wet hair, over brushing, and wait about 8 weeks to trim your hair.

This year, APB will participate in the cause, students and teachers are encouraged  to co20141110_132020ntribute to the organization. Tirza Orellana, a senior at APB, said “No I wouldn’t donate my hair since its too short and i IMG_20150122_132153dyed it last year.  But later on, maybe I would because it’s providing my hair to people in need of it and its a good cause so why not,”As for David Padilla, a junior at APB, he said, “I guess its a good because it makes them [the patients] feel good about  themselves.” The teachers also had a say in the cause, for instance Ms. Freeman, a senior english teacher, said, “Yes, I would definitely consider a thought about doing it but I haven’t done it yet. I think it’s a wonderful thing that they’re giving confidence to people who are sick. Its great. I would just do it to do a good deed for someone in need.”

about  themselves.” The teachers also had a say in the cause, for instance Ms. Freeman, a senior english teacher, said, “Yes, I would definitely consider a thought about doing it but I haven’t done it yet. I think it’s a wonderful thing that they’re giving confidence to people who are sick. Its great. I would just do it to do a good deed for someone in need.”

The event is scheduled in May, if you have any further questions or want to know more about the event, ask student council or visit

http://pantene.com/en-us/brandexperience/prepare-your-hair

View Comments (1)