Should NCAA Athletes be paid or not?

By: Jesus Ramriez and Kathy Rocha

National Collegiate Athletic Association  and its college player have spurred controversy on whether or not college basketball players should be paid for their service in achieving state championships and titles College athlete along with professional athletes are speaking up and giving their opinions.The NCAA has been gaining billions of dollars off these players and their names. In return the players only receive scholarships for their education which have also been a controversy. Athletes never see one dollar from  all the money the NCAA gains from merchandise with their names and their name in general.The arising controversy has sparked many people’s attention and has become an eye opener for many players,fans,and salesman.

Professional basketball player Stephan Curry from Golden State Warriors had an opinion on the matter. Curry argued that having students-athletes paid would entice them to stay longer in college, which would in turn further improve the game at a level higher than already. It would allow for the opportunity to improve the brand of March Madness, including the idea that student- athletes would prepare themselves, rather than jumping to the professionals with so little experience.

There are two possible answers to this controversy, one is keep running the NCAA how it currently is or option two make a new system in the NCAA to give players a fair pay. The NCAA will have to make significant changes to the system, so that players are able to gain an equal share of money. But many problems will arise from both solutions.  If the NCAA keeps the current system of player compensation, it will begin to be looked down upon for not taking the players into consideration. If the NCAA does take the players into consideration the NCAA will face the problem of how much to pay the players and possibility of losing sponsorship or can lead to a financial turmoil.

A potential solution to these repercussions, the NCAA may acknowledge its players with compensation other than paid tuition and scholarships. The NCAA should only reward solely based off player contribution to the organization as a whole including both internal and external activities. Contribution can be based on the actions of the individual player outside of training, such as other extra-curricular activities and being apart of programs. The intellectual aspect of the player should also be seen aside from physical fitness. The player’s performance is of course the more significant factor but the players should be paid within reason. Their salary should not be anywhere similar to that of pro players but significantly less.

Given by the regulated, antitrust law called the Sherman Antitrust Act. The antitrust law states that “a conspiracy, in restraint of trade is declared illegal”. Therefore, we can use the analogy on how if Coke and Pepsi would come together and agree that all cans of Coke and Pepsi will henceforth be $3 each. Therefore, it would be illegal for both of them to get together saying that they’ve been tired of competing against each other, so they would agree on workers and cap wages would be illegal. The NCAA was able to pass by the regulatory antitrust law, simply based on the fact that teams were needed agree on many variables such as the venue, time, the price for entry, and whether or not it was gonna be televised.