APB should have more electives

Students Samantha Castillo and Ashley Garcia working on a poster In Journalism . One of APB’s few electives .

The idea of more electives being added to the curriculum here at Animó Pat Brown has been brought to the table.

APB currently offers a selection of electives across various subjects like art, computer science, physical education and journalism. While these courses are important, students believe that there should be an expansion of electives, opening the door to new fields.

APB Is a smaller school than most , meaning there’s not a lot of space for opportunities with adding more electives due to the lack of classrooms and teachers.The electives we do have are not a lot compared to other schools. In addition the amount of electives the students take on a year compared to other schools is drastic . APB only allows for students to choose there top #3 electives and get randomly put in one since space might be limited and example is journalism there’s only 1 class that can fit 31 students that both 11th and 12th graders can apply for so chances are slim. 

The options of electives APB is currently offering are all intertwined with the classes students are required to take. For instance, English and Journalism even though students do different work in both of them both require a lot of writing and creativity. Now while this might be good and beneficial for students it would also be good if there was something different for students to explore more. For example a culinary class or wood shop. Classes like these could potentially be fun for students. Students could learn skills they might need in the future or they could find a passion or comfort in a class that’s different from the rest. 

The purpose of school electives is varied. They allow students to explore their interests and talents that are outside of the normal school curriculum and develop their skills that align with what they’re passionate about. School electives also help encourage personal growth within students and overall enhance their learning experience.

Here at Animo pat Brown, it’s important to note that most of the electives are in the form of ARC clubs.It allows students to stay here on campus after school and have guidance in different interests. Arc offers classes like music production, culinary arts, and film, and so forth. Here they can learn new skills and ideas that pertain to a certain subject but, it is only an extracurricular and not an elective.

Transforming certain Arc clubs into formal elective classes will allow students to have a more structured learning experience and dive deeper into what they are interested in. It will also give students a consistent curriculum and clear standards of what they would need to achieve throughout the year.

Electives shouldn’t  be thought of as an extra class to keep students busy but as a class that could quite possibly help students decide what they would want to do in the future.  There should be more options for electives and more resources that could assure a higher chance of many students getting into a class they are interested in. Therefore APB should have more electives.