Changing the 20 Dollar Bill

“Forget about Andrew Jackson and his big hair. It’s time we put a woman on the $20 bill.”

An organization called Women on 20’s is trying to convince President Obama and Congress to change the 20 dollar bill from the controversial seventh president to a women. This group Women on 20’s listed 15 women as candidates to replace Andrew Jackson on the 20 dollar bill. Some of those women are Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt, Rachel Carson, Margaret Sanger and Susan B. Anthony.

Sacagawea is on the dollar coin which was adorned by Susan B. Anthony. But there is not yet any women on the money paper currency.

There are many that believe there shouldn’t be any women because the men on the paper money are all on there for a reason. At the same time there are others that don’t mind.

“We are talking about one of our founders of america” said Cassandra Enriquez, senior at Animo Pat Brown. “I’m a woman and I think they should not change it. I’m not sexist or anything but he was one of our founders”.

Andrew Jackson was a wealthy man and a young rising politician. Jackson’s leadership earned him his national fame as a military hero and become America’s most influential and polarizing political figure during the 1820s and 1830s which earned him his spot on the 20 dollar bill. Although he was known for many great things many people were against him because of the fact that he wanted people to continue slavery.

This made him a very controversial person because he did many great things in his life but he wanted to continue something that everyone else was against of.

“I think the should mix it up. I would like to see more diversity in the money”, said Joel Snyder, Social Studies teacher at Animo Pat Brown. “It will not change anything, it will just change things symbolically”.

W20 is petitioning to President Obama and congress hoping they have a women on the 20 dollar bill by 2020, which is the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th amendment, which was the amendment that  gave women the right to vote. Susan B. Anthony was an abolitionist and suffragette, and was the one who campaigned for the 19th amendment.

“‘I’m in the middle but I feel that there will always be under representation. There should be women that receive representation, It is always men, there should be a few women”, said Wendy Ponce, senior at Animo Pat Brown CHS. “It does not give power but it shows respect”.

Women 20 petitioning to change the 20 dollar bill has brought up other controversial conversations among people. “Why change it to a women”, said Cassandra Enriquez, senior at Animo Pat brown. “Why not an African American man or a Chinese man?”.