4 New Elements Added To The Periodic Table

After the last alteration to the periodic table in 2011 4 more have been discovered in the year 2015, and have finally been confirmed.

With the discovery , or well the making, of the 4 elements the 7th row of the periodic table is now complete.

home160104_custom-8aa807c1aa2bb149b075caccb021af178c502a94-s400-c85The elements were given the atomic numbers 113, 115, 117 and 118 ,and will get permanent names soon, said the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.

Element 113 is the first element to be found in Asia! While the other 3 were discovered in Russia and California  (Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Dubna, Russia, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California)

Like stated earlier these elements were created. They are classified as superheavy, more than 104 protons, they were created by using particle accelerators to shoot beams of nuclei at target nuclei.

Once created they were tested over and over to confirm them, element 113 lasts for less than a thousandth of a second.

The elements’ names come  from their spot on the periodic table, ununseptium has 117 protons. Each of the discovering teams have been asked to submit names for the elements.

There are also other companies that are working on creating elements 119 and 120…. but with no success.

Now, with the addition of these new elements to the periodic table a question is proposed. Will students be required to learn these new elements? (specifically AP Ch em).