Aziz Ansari

Aziz+Ansari

Aziz Ansari has been getting some heat for a story published on babe.net called “I went on a date with Aziz Ansari. It turned into the worst night of my life’’. The story covers an anonymous woman who accused Aziz Ansari of sexually harassing her after going on a date in New York. It turns out the story was true after Aziz Ansari made a statement to the media, he stated, “In September of last year, I met a woman at a party. We exchanged numbers. We texted back and forth and eventually went on a date. We went out to dinner, and afterwards we ended up engaging in sexual activity, which by all indications was completely consensual”(CNN.com).

The story was very controversial because Aziz Ansari is a well-known  comedian who has tackled issues of of sexism, dating, and power dynamics in relationships, who also often discusses about entitled men. He is an avid supporter of the #MeToo Movement, and its purpose is to end sexual violent and support survivors of sexual violence. It is expected that this scandal has caused such commotion, due to Ansari being who he is. A man who claims to support the #MeToo Movement, but has sexually harassed a woman is extremely ironic.

It was only 2 weeks ago that Aziz Ansari won a Global Globe for Best Actor in his own  television series,Master of None. At the Screen Actors Guild Award, Aziz was nominated for his work, and didn’t show up.During the awards show, once  Aziz Ansari was announced for the nomination, Ansari did not receive any applause from the audience . People were tweeting how Ansari received no applause and people stated  how they “relished” hearing silence when Ansari’s name was brought up. Ansari is obviously paying for his mistake, but are all men in Hollywood who support the #MeToo Movement the same as Ansari?

Many feminists  are now questioning male supporters of the #MeToo Movement,  due to not only Aziz Ansari, but James Franco, Kevin Spacey, Andrew Kreisberg and much more. Are all men violent creatures looking to take advantage of women, or are feminists making a bigger deal of this whole situation? Whatever the case, this has opened up the minds of many, even a famous actor can be a sexual predator that takes advantage of women.