What to Remember Throughout High School

By Mindy Larios

1) Finding a Job 

If you don’t have anything to do after getting home from school, it is the right time to find a job. Firstly, you have to be 16 years old or older, to be accepted in any job. Then, you are required to have a California State ID when applying. You can buy a California State ID at the DMV which generally costs around $30. Some places, however, don’t accept teenagers under the age of 18. Places such as Subway, McDonald’s, Starbucks, Petco, Target, Walmart, and so on, hire teenagers at the age of 16. Therefore, if you are 16 years old or older, you can use your spare time to earn money for yourself.

2) Study for ACT and SAT

Don’t begin studying for the ACT or SAT two weeks before you’re going to take it. Start earlier. Three months is a significant amount of time to begin studying. The library has books with practice tests available for anyone to check out. You can also find online website to study and take the real thing as practice and see the areas where you need improvement. Also, during the second semester of junior year, mentors from various colleges will come once a week to help you prepare for SAT. The SAT and ACT are taken on a Saturday in the months of April and May. 

3) Don’t wait to begin your Community Service Hours

Junior and senior year are probably the busiest years in high school. AP classes, the SAT and ACT, and applying for college, will keep seniors and juniors busy all year long. If you plan to attend college, a minimum of 40 hours are required. Places to consider are libraries, youth centers, animal shelters, elementary schools, elder-care facilities, environmental organizations, and many more. Although 40 hours seem like a lot, depending on how many hours per day you complete in a week, these hours can be completed in at least two months. Even if volunteering isn’t a job, treat it as if it were and be committed and persistent.