Different Types of Birth Control

By: Anndrea Vasquez

As a Peer Advocate, questions like “Where can I get birth control?” or “What is birth control?” are something I hear all the time. Questions like these should be answered, and all teenagers should know what birth control is, the side effects, and where it can be gotten. There are many different types of birth control, all of which have different types of effectiveness.

• Abstinence – 100% Effective          

Abstinence is simply the act of not having sex, it also protects you from STD’s.

• The Implant – 99% Effective

The implant, also known as Nexplanon is as tiny as a matchstick and realeases hormones into the body to prevent one from getting pregnant. It is inserted into the arm by a doctor and protects from pregnancy for 4 years. The implant also does not protect from STD’s, using a condom is best to avoid infections.

• IUD – 99% Effective

The IUD is a tiny device that is inserted into the uterus, can be taken out whenever by a doctor and lasts a long time. The IUD does not protect from STD’s, so using a condom is best to avoid infections.

• Shot  – 94% Effective

The depo-shot is an injection gotten from a nurse or doctor every 3 months and is safe and convenient. The shot does not protect from STD’s, so using a condom is best to avoid infections.

• Pills – 91% Effective

The pills are meant to be taken everyday for it to be 100% effective and are full of hormones that prevent pregnancy. The pills does not protect from STD’s, so using a condom is best to avoid infections.

• The Patch – 91% Effective

Transdermal contraceptive patch is a method that you wear on your belly, upper arm, butt or back and should be replaced every 3 weeks and releases hormones. The patch does not protect from STD’s, so using a condom is best to avoid infections.

• Vaginal Ring – 91% Effective  

The NuvaRing is worn inside the vagina that is flexible, small and releases hormones into the body and is only effective is worn properly. The patch does not protect from STD’s, so using a condom is best to avoid infections.

• Withdrawal (Pulling Out) – 78% Effective

Pulling out is only effective by keeping semen away from the vagina and works best if used with a condom, which would avoid infections from STD’s.

• Spermicide – 71% Effective

Spermicide is chemical that prevents a sperm from reaching the egg and is inserted deep in the vagina and must be used with a diaphragm and cervical caps. The patch does not protect from STD’s, so using a condom is best to avoid infections.

Although these are not all the types of birth control out there, these are some of the most popular and more can be found at the Planned Parenthood website here. Planned Parenthood appointments can be made over the phone or online, can be 100% discreet, and do not require your parents’ permission.