Termites at APB

According to Orkin, the actual amount of wood a termite colony can destroy depends on the type of termite, size of the colony, type of wood, the condition of the wood, what other food sources are available and even the temperature. Termites have been a known problem at APB for years and most students are unaware of their presence in the school. Although termites are not a threat to us, they can cause thousands of dollars worth of damages to APB if it is not taken care of. If you have Mr. Choi’s class then you may have experienced the termite swarmers (shown below). The swarmers have been disturbing Choi’s classroom since he first taught at APB but recently, they stopped appearing in his classroom.  Image result

Photo of a drywood “incisitermes minor” from Google Images

These are the termite swarmers that have been disrupting our learning. “It makes it hard to teach students because they’re afraid it(termites) would land on them,” says Choi. They have also been shedding their wings in the class which would often stick to paper and would leave small stains on classwork. According to Terminix, if you find shed swarmer wings, especially near closed windows, doors or other sources of light, it means that the building is infested. APB and it’s classrooms can be considered infested, though only a few have termites falling off the ceilings or flying around.