Nurse arrested and charged with sexual assault of a woman in vegetative state after giving birth to a baby at nursing home

A 29 year old disabled woman who was living in a Phoenix Arizona health care facility for 10 years, shocked her caregivers and family, when she gave birth to a baby boy on December 29, 2018. Everyone was appalled when this young woman gave birth because she has been disabled and in a vegetative state since the age of 3.

No one was aware that she was pregnant up until she went into labor. Nobody knew how this could have happened until they tested and gathered DNA samples from all of the men who worked at the Hacienda HealthCare facility. Nathan Sutherland, a nurse at the facility, matched the baby’s DNA.  He had apparently raped the young victim. Sutherland was the man who was supposed to be looking after his patient, but he raped her and got her pregnant.

Nathan Sutherland

Sutherland was charged on Wednesday January 23, 2019 with one count of sexual assault and one count of vulnerable adult abuse. Investigators in charge of this case believe that he had raped the patient sometime between February and April. A County Superior Court commissioner from Maricopa County, AZ had set a $500,000 cash-only bail.

If Sutherland pays the bail he would only have to submit to remaining under house arrest and can leave when ordered to do so. Many people believe that this punishment is not enough towards the man who took advantage of his incapacitated victim who couldn’t take care for herself and depended on others to take care for her due to her health conditions. The family of the victim has spoken out and said that they would take care of the baby. 

ktla.com/2019/01/23/nurse-arrested-in-sex-assault…