Cruel Instruction; a Movie Deserving of a Higher Rating

Above Image from “Lifetime”

PG thriller/drama movie “Cruel Instruction” Directed by Stanley M. Brooks. With Kelcey Mawema, Morgan Taylor Campbell, Camryn Manheim, and Sydney Scotia would be an 8/10. In this movie, Kayla’s counselor suggested her parents take her to a youth residential treatment center not knowing how the girls are getting treated there. Every girl in the center gets harshly punished for any small thing they do, for example if they cough, speak, or sneeze without permission they get sent to the “investment unit” where they are locked in alone in a plain room until they are told they can get out. The parents have no clue on how bad this place treats their daughters due to the girls not being able to have working phones. They have no suspicions till one day one of the girls gets so sick to the point where she’s about to die and Kayla finds a way to call her mom. 

Something I didn’t like about this movie was the ending. Both Kayla and her friend get taken out of the place by their parents but the other girls get left behind. This ending is disappointing but at the same time it’s sending a message out to parents who have their kids in places like this trying to spread awareness since this movie was based on true events that have happened before. Some things I enjoyed about the movie were the plot twists, acting, and quality. The actors made it look like they were actually in the setting of the scenes experiencing what they acted out. Something that stood out to me was the good quality of the movie and small details they added to make it seem more realistic. While watching the movie I felt so much adrenaline on what would happen next. Overall, I recommend this movie because it’s very interesting with many details but since it’s PG, I wouldn’t recommend you to watch this with young children because it does have some scenes in it that people might find disturbing.