Meeting with friends during the pandemic

By Luis Herrera and Manuel Perez

Source: mom.com

The pandemic has been very difficult for the class of 2021, strict rules and regulations have been set for those seniors looking forward to meeting with friends.

The pandemic has enforced strict social distancing rules that don’t allow people who are not vaccinated to meet in large areas with lots of people. With this also came the mask mandate that forces everyone who goes out into public spaces to wear a mask.

When considering going out with others it’s highly recommended to get vaccinated. After the second dose and a time of 2 weeks your body will gain immunity to the Coronavirus. If others like yourself get vaccinated it makes it much easier to meet. This is especially considering as of early June in California those who are vaccinated can take part of activities without wearing a mask or distancing themselves from others.

For those who are not vaccinated it’s important to follow the guidelines recommended by the CDC. According to the CDC, “Correctly and consistently wear a mask”. When required to wear a mask, it’s important to cover the mouth and nose to increase the chances of avoiding getting COVID 19. Our concern should be for the health of ourselves and others around us.

Additionally, it is important to be self aware of our bodies. According to the CDC, “Get tested if you have signs or symptoms of COVID-19, or if you think you may have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.” The symptoms of COVID-19 include a fever, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, body aches, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea, and diarrhea. If someone experiences these symptoms it’s important to stay home and find a place to get tested to make the chance of infecting others very small.

Source: Financial Times

Being self aware is half the battle, reminding and asking others whether they have been self aware is also important. Many people overlook the places they go and the chances they have of getting sick. If someone knows they are going to meet with others it’s important to be considerate and avoid places with lots of people because there is a small chance of getting and infecting others with COVID-19.

For those seniors either attending college or going straight to the workforce these tips apply. Following the restrictions that the school or company is enforcing is important to keeping not only yourself safe, but those around you. Making sure you are self aware is even more important considering the fact that in person school and work puts you in an area where being irresponsible can take a bigger toll on the safety of others.

It is important to meet with others during the pandemic for many reasons, one being it can reduce stress. In an article written by Healthy Living, “A reduced risk of depression is seen in adults who purposely connect with others.” This goes to show that meeting friends and family during the pandemic can be very helpful towards your mental health.

Working towards your mental health is especially important during the pandemic. Seniors face their last set of exams that finalize their journey as high school students and it’s very difficult to take on these tasks with lots of stress. Finding time to meet with others and having a great time is a great motivator to complete the final tasks at hand.

There are many ways to meet friends and family other than in person gatherings. Some ways to meet is through social media, virtual meetings, and video games. These options are the best way to stay connected throughout the pandemic.

Many APB students said generally the same thing which includes them wearing a mask to protect themselves from the virus. They also said that they do their research before meeting somewhere such as a restaurant or store.

The senior class of 2021 has had a difficult year, but the best is about to begin. Finding time to spend with friends will be key to having the motivation to move forward. By following the restrictions it’s just a matter of time before we resume our normal lives.