Safety at Animo Pat Brown High School

Safety at Animo Pat Brown High School

By Mindy Larios

Imagine that you’re in guidance class, waiting for the clock to strike 3:05 so you can finally go home, but all of a sudden one of your classmates pulls out a gun from his backpack and starts shooting at everyone. After what feels like hours later, you miraculously survive and emerge from under the desk that you were hidden under. You’re shaking with fear and still processing what had just happened. As you look around, you see blood everywhere and the lifeless bodies of your classmates and friends on the ground.

One of the most well known school shootings that made headlines in the news was the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2004. 20-year-old Adam Lanza fatally shot 20 children between six and seven years old, as well as six adult staff members. The reason for Lanza’s outrage was was said to be a mental illness. Parents and family members were left devastated and children were traumatized.

To begin with, we all know the stereotype that only white kids shoot up schools. Since most APB students are Hispanic, we do not fear that one day someone would bring a weapon into our school. But the reality is, a school shooter does not have to be white, race doesn’t matter. These instances of severe violence are no laughing matter. School shootings are very rare, but they are not impossible. The FBI has proven that 40% of mass shootings are over before the police arrive, so it’s up to students to protect themselves and prevent a massacre like the Sandy Hook shooting to occur.

Although, APB does have security to keep everyone safe, is it enough to prevent a shooter from coming into our campus or a student from sneaking in a weapon? CSO Mr. Garcia wanders the school the entire school time and other security guards arrive around the middle of the day to help him keep the school safe. Some may be unaware, but the main office has security cameras installed where they can see anyone who is about to enter the school grounds and buzz them inside with the electronic lock on the front gate. But students can bring anything in their backpacks and teachers and staff would never know about it. There is hardly any backpack checks at school, and when there is, not all students are checked thoroughly, in some cases, not all students are even checked. An issue that backpack checking rises is students feeling their privacy violated. Still, having unexpected backpack checks occasionally wouldn’t hurt and the school might even find surprising things in the backpacks’ of students that doesn’t necessarily have to be a weapon.

Furthermore, some of the other causes of school shooting is due to bullying, those who want to hurt others for no reason, or mental illnesses. If anyone is being bullied they are likely to want to get revenge. Those who do it to hurt others for no reason, simply do it for the fun of it.

Junior Casandra Valencia said, “Yes I feel safe at school because we practice what to do incase of an emergency, or in case something happens. My teachers care for me and it makes me feel safe but, they should check backpacks at least once a month. I don’t think any one would want to shoot the school because they care about their future and wouldn’t want to go to jail for doing something stupid.” 

Principal Mr. Reed said, “We do have emergency procedures for a variety of things. We also have about 28 cameras covering the interior and exterior of the school. We have access to a big security team through the district so, if we get need them, we’ll call them.” He also hopes students don’t make poor decisions by sneaking in illegal things inside the school.

Overall, Animo Pat Brown is a very well protected school, but it’s always important to care for your schoolmates and be aware at all times.