Acrobat Stunt Gone Wrong

Acrobat Stunt Gone Wrong

It was supposed to be an amazing and magical performance from the Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus, but instead it turned out to be the scene of a shocking accident. Sunday morning, May 4th, during the 11:00 am performance, in Providence Rhode Island the show started in a marvelous way. It began with various performers then came the time to reveal the surprise behind the curtain. When the curtain was down it revealed a human chandelier in which eight women were hanging from their hair about 20 feet above the ground. Suddenly the performers plundered to the ground injuring another women that was at the bottom of their act. The staff immediately rushed to help the performers and called the ambulance. Now, eight of their performers are still in the hospital severely injured with broken bones but with possible recovery. One of the injured performers was released on Tuesday morning and is hoping to return to the circus.

The federal workplace safety authorities  are gathering information about the incident and have determined that  the performers fell to the ground because a clip broke that released the apparatus. The authorities figured there can be two ways the accident could have occurred: the manufacture or the installation of the clip.

The Ringling Bros. Barnum and Brailey Company have published in their website the news about the incident and have decided to continue the tour from May 8-11th. For the rest of the tour the hair hanging act will not be a part of the performance. Quoting,  “The safety of our cast, staff and crew, as well as our guests, continues to be our highest priority” (www.ringling.com).