Should people be allowed to own guns?

Should+people+be+allowed+to+own+guns%3F+

Throughout 2014, there have been many cases in which a person buys or rents a gun and then uses it to cause a traumatic event. It is very controversial whether people should be allowed to use these weapons knowing that they have been used normally to kill people.

The most recent tragedy involving gun use is by the college student Elliot Rodger. He made a video saying he was going to go to UC Santa Barbara and “slaughter” any blonde women he sees or anyone that gets on his way.

On the other hand, one of the first events that occurred in the first few weeks of January  2014 was when a fourteen year old boy was shot outside a basketball game in New Haven, Connecticut.

Since the beginning of the year there have been about 50 events involving gun use, and causing people either to get hurt or die.

When asked junior Zulema Carrillo from Animo Pat Brown,  if she believed that people should be allowed to buy or rent guns she said, “No because then it would be easier for people to murder others.” When asked a sophomore what she thought, she responded,” no because it would be easier for people to have access to children.” On the other hand, another junior, Melina Sanchez responded, “ yes, people should be allowed to buy guns because what is the whole point of renting a gun if you’re still paying for them.”

There might be positive reasons of why owning a gun might be useful, but there also might be negative reasons why it might not be a good idea. For example, it can be useful to protect your home from people who are trying to rob you, or hurt you, but other than that I don’t think guns should be used. The most common reason for using a gun is to hurt or kill someone. A lot of people sometimes want to be remembered by the world so they commit a reckless action of killing someone.

Guns should only be allowed to be rented or bought if its for self defense and only if they have some kind permission from an authority.