The effects of a Later School Schedule

How would life be if teenager entered school later so they could get more sleep? If teenagers had more time to sleep could their grades and behavior improve or would they take advantage of a later school schedule?

I have seen many students come to school exhausted from the night before; this could either be due to late night studying or personal events. However, I could safely say that those students would love a buffer zone, to allow a decent amount of rest. I speak with experience when I say that its very difficult to wake up and come to school when you have been studying and completing homework for the next day. If school wasn’t the reason it might be because of work; since my junior year I began working in the weekends but at times I was called into work on school days; so I would come tired and would fall asleep at 2am. School work is helps us grow intellectually; however, sleep is detrimental because sleep helps keep the body functioning. If teenagers in school do not get a good amount of sleep then they’re at risk of anxiety attacks, agitations, dizziness,rapid heart rate, headaches, and dehydration (Newport Academy).

As a senior, I agree with a later school schedule because it would allow a buffer zone, which would allow me to either sleep a bit more or finish any assignment; which would my grades improve because I would complete more work.  The days that we have entered school at a later time, I felt relaxed and rested because we entered at 9:00am instead of 8:00am. Other days are strenuous and chaotic because I have a little bit of time to get ready, eat breakfast, and go to school.

I surveyed 10 people from various grades and asked them “If school days started at 8:45 am instead of of 8:00 am, what things would you do with that extra time?”. Sleep and completion of work was what the majority of them said. PH.D Julie Boergers says, ”  If we were more closely align  school schedules with adolescents’ …sleep needs, we will have students who are more alert, happier, better prepared to learn, and aren’t dependent” (ScienceDaily). A buffer zone would allow students to be better prepared for a day that is full of challenges and obstacles.