Is the Netflix show, 13 Reasons Why, Sending Its viewers the wrong message?

By: Axlin lucio & Kimberly Lua

The show that most people were waiting for is finally here and lots of people were really excited about 13 Reasons Why season 2 to come out, For those who didn’t know, this show is based on the book “13 Reasons Why” and it is directed by Selena Gomez. The show is about a student named Hannah Baker, who commits suicide and left 13 tapes for each 12 people explaining her reasons why she did what she did. This show was suppose to bring awareness to mental health between teenagers but instead it kind of brought the wrong message. Which is a reason why you shouldn’t watch this show since it gives a false reality of what mental illness actually is and how to deal with it.

First of all, Hannah Baker goes through some issues that a lot of teenager go through at her age and instead of showing the viewers to actually get help and how to get through time like those, it shows a really graphic scene where she commits suicide, which is where they sent the wrong message. This can be interpreted to their viewers that yes, suicide is the “answer” when in reality it isn’t. I believe that instead of showing Hannah Baker committing suicide it should’ve shown her actually getting helped, even if she went to her school to talk about her situation, she should’ve gotten help from somewhere else. To add on, the show romanticizes teen suicide instead of advocating for it.

Another thing that I truly dislike about the show was her leaving tapes to certain people, giving reasons to why she did what she did. You should never make anyone feel guilty for the reason of someone’s death because you may never know how they might take it, yeah they were probably the reason why you feel the way you feel, but to blame them on why you committed suicide isn’t the right choice. Especially if you’re using your death as revenge to those who bullied you, something that Hannah Baker did. It also seems that some reasons to why the character committed suicide was because not everyone was being friendly, therefore giving the message of “if people were actually nice to each other, there wouldn’t be people being depressed or wanting to kill themselves” when it’s truly not the case. Which is why I truly believe that this show is sending the wrong message to it’s viewers because of what it is showing them and because of what can be interpreted it from it.