Apple V. Samsung: The Smartphone Competition

By Michelle Gomez  

Two of the most popular smartphones around the world, Apple and Samsung, have been engaged in a patent war since 2007, four days before the iPhone was introduced.

Both Samsung and Apple have filed many patent infringement suits against each other, not only in the United States but in eight other countries. This includes the design and functions that both Samsung and Apple claim the other “copied” from them. For example, Apple filed a suit against four of their design patents covering the shape of the iphone in 2007. Also in 2007, Kim Young-chul, a former prosecutor before working for Samsung, claimed that Samsung was one of the most corrupt companies in the world.

Comparison of Apple and Samsung after Apple release the first Iphone in 2007

In South Korea, after Samsung filed a  lawsuit against Apple, the court decided that Samsung violated one of Apple’s utility patent over the “bounce-back” feature. The court also decided that Apple had violated two of Samsung’s wireless patents. The court mentioned that there was no way that consumers would confuse the two smartphones.

In Germany, the court granted Apple’s request to stop the Galaxy Tab 10.1  from selling after Apple filed a suit against Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 10.1, claiming that Samsung had infringed two of Apple’s interfaced patents. After Samsung’s allegations were heard, the court granted Apple fewer injunction that only applied to German market. Finally, on September 9, 2011, the court decided to rule in favor of Apple to ban sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

This war continues  on in several different countries for several different fragments. One thing that is clear is that this war has cost both companies millions or even billions of dollars.