Sesame Street Exposing Kids to LGBT Community?

By: Kimberly Rivera & Lissete Cisneros

In most recent years, society has been opening up more about members of the LGBT community. Since then, it had become more comfortable for members to open up about their sexual orientation.

However, no one expected two, Sesame Street, to be labeled as a “gay couple”.

Growing up, children are not exposed to the ideals of the LGBT community enough and because of that, as adults, they do not accept it as the new norm.

This new exposure of the LGBT community allows children who are watching these shows to have open minded and accepting.

However, not everyone is on board with this version of the story.

Although, previous writer, Mark Saltzman, claimed in an interview with Queerty “I always felt that without a huge agenda, when I was writing Bert and Ernie, they were [gay],” the writers’ claims contradict the LGBT community’s celebratory news of them being an actual gay couple, and were quick to respond and state that they’re “just friends”.

However, Sesame workshop still claimed that Bert and Ernie were all about inclusion, they responded, “They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves,” the statement said. “Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits, and characteristics …, they remain puppets and do not have a sexual orientation.”

No matter if they are a couple or not they still help teach children about inclusion whether it is about accepting people in the LGBT community or those who suffer from disabilities.