BVO (Brominated Vegetable Oil) and the Coca-Cola Industry

Sarah Kavanagh, a Mississippi teenager questioned if the so called ingredients and chemicals in drinks manufactured by Coca-Cola were actually healthy. As a result, Coca-Cola has retired BVO (Brominated Vegetable Oil) from their entire line of beverages for not being healthy.

Most of these drinks are advertised to be healthy, nonetheless, why would they contain a flame retardent chemical? Brominated Vegetable Oil (BVO) is a mixture of complex plant-derived tryglycerides, an ester (organic compound) that forms is brominated or just added bromine atoms.    

Brominated vegetable oil is used primarily to help the stimulation of citrus in flavored soft-drinks, and also preventing them from separating during distribution, a strenuous time for the drinks as they can become agitated. According to the Huffingtonpost, bottles of Powerade in fruit punch and strawberry lemonade flavors being sold in the Detroit, Michigan; Omaha, Nebraska, New York and Washington, D.C. areas no longer list the ingredient. Nonetheless, it’s not so accurate to know when   all BVO-containing bottles will be removed for the new and improved ones. 

Not only did Sarah Kavanagh’s concern for the well being of all help make the world a healthier and safer place by removing BVO from all Coke related drinks, but it has also risen awareness regarding what one considers healthy or not.

The chemistry teacher here at APB, Mr. Batten concludes and agrees that there are not enough experiments to be conscious of the long-term of brominated vegetable oil on the human body. Although, it has not caused serious health issues to the populace it isn’t something we should consume due to lack of knowledge.

Melanny Hernandez, a senior, pronounces that as long as the beverage has a delightful taste to it then it is perfectly fine. Although she is fully aware that the drink may contain chemicals she concludes that as long as it does not kill her instantly it is alright to enjoy of the drink.

Cassandra Enriquez, has concluded that she will be reducing the amounts of Gatorade intake from 2-3 bottles weekly to one bottle a week, hopefully.

Armando Gutierrez, a heavy Coca-Cola  consumer, has decided that he might change the amount of  Coke he consumes. Although, he will continue to drink coke he will change brand of soda or even begin to drink clear soda, a slow but sure change.