Nancy Kim-Portillo rules APB

Animo Pat Brown Charter High School has three principals for the first time.

Nancy Kim-Portillo is the new permanent assistant principal at APB.

Portillo said the students of APB motivate her to come to work every day.

“I love coming to work to see our students knowing that in some way i am impacting their education,” she said.

Enforcing necessary rules, having personal conversations, and assisting students with academics are all part of her job, she said.

“I love lunch give back,” Portillo said, with her trademark sing-songy voice on the word “love.” Portillo said she believes lunch give back is a good policy because students should be held accountable for being late.

“I love coming to work to see our students knowing that in some way i am impacting their education” Portillo said. Portillo talks about how we motivate her to come to work everyday because she knows she influences us positively in school.

She joins Principal Joshua Hartford and Assistant Principal Kuoching Ngu on the school’s leadership team.

“Ms. Portillo is a hard worker and always remains positive even through hard circumstances”, Hartford said.

When Mr. Hartford and Ms. Portillo work it’s all business but within their good relationship they manage to get through the hardships faced with managing Animo Pat Brown.

“I look forward to the time when our administration team is at full strength”, Hartford said.

He talks about Ngu’s Absence and how it would be better to have all three top administrators in the school.

“Ms. Portillo and I are working together to fill in for Mr. Ngu while he is gone”, Hartford said.

She has the “ability to build a relationship with students, parents, and staff”, Hartford said.

He explains the abilities she has shown through her 3 months here as a capital Administrator in residence and also her short time so far as assistant principal. Outside of school she is interested in research, reading, and of course spending time with her family. She has been in the education business for 16 years and never giving up always with that positive attitude she displays to everyone including staff, students, and teachers.