Throwback Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

Thir13en Ghosts:

Genre: Horror

Running Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Rated: R *due to graphic murder scenes and partial nudity

Release Date: October 26, 2001

Thir13en Ghosts is a remake of the 1960 film 13  Ghosts  by  William Castle . Thir13en Ghosts is about a family who has just suffered a terrible tragedy after a fire destroys their home and takes the life of their mother. Tony Shelhoub plays Arthur Kriticos a brokenhearted widower  father of two who has just come into a beautiful secluded house after a long lost genius millionaire uncle Cyrus Kriticos (F. Murray Abraham) dies after a freak accident. What Arthur Kriticos and his family don’t know is that the house they are left with isn’t actually a house but a machine used to make the controller filled with vast knowledge of the past, present, and future which is powered by 12 earth-bound, angry, murderous ghosts. After getting locked in the house with a psychic who worked with his uncle and his family the ghosts start getting released one by one and they are looking for revenge. After being attacked and a shocking revelation tells that their beloved mother and wife is an earth-bound spirit and to stop the machine they need a willing human sacrifice made out of pure love.

I would give this movie a 3.5 out of 5, there are definitely some cringe and jump worthy scenes but that is what entices you to keep watching. This movie was the first horror movie I could watch and not have nightmares about it later. The ghosts in this movie really seem to scare you because of the violence and well their appearances in the movie. I recommend this movie if you like ghost movies, humor, and cringe worthy deaths. This is a good movie to watch with friends or have a movie night with your significant other. This is a very good guilty pleasure movie for rainy days or movie marathons.

We should keep watching this movie because not only does it have on the edge of your seat but also it tells you that sacrificing yourself for the ones you love will affect them in positive ways even after you are gone. Although others might not think there is anything inspirational about this movie it makes you think about if you were in that same situation, what you would do. Would you sacrifice yourself or use the machine for your self-benefit?